Five Sullivan Brothers 5k/10k, Waterloo, Iowa

Five Sullivan Brothers 5k/10k, Waterloo, Iowa

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Running Fool!

I have been running about 20 miles a week for the last 3 weeks!  I feel SUPER good about this, considering my weekly mileage was about 12 before.  The half is approaching fast and I still feel a little big nervous about it, but will NOT worry about my speed as long as I can keep increasing my distances.  I am trying NOT to get super bummed about not having my girls to run with on a regular basis.  I don't know why it has bothered me so much, but just having them there as really motivated me to keep going. 

I am relieved that the weather is finally starting to get a bit warmer.  I was able to get out tonight with Tina to go for a little run and on Monday for a little run that kicked my butt for some reason.  I seemed to dress too warm and was having difficulty with the snow packed trails.  It was a nice run of over 3 miles, but I had to keep encouraging myself NOT to walk.  Tonight was PERFECT!  The pace was nice and relaxed and I felt so proud of how Tina did!  :-) 

One frustration I am having right now is getting a friend to start exercising.  She is having difficulty with her feet hurting and just feeling yucky overall or just TOO busy and preoccupied with everything else.  I know that if she just started SLOW, she would feel better, but not sure how to encourage her without pushing her. 
And really maybe I should relax--not everyone needs to be a runner/walker, and I should lay off!  Hmmmm! 

I really have tried to get some other girls to start running on my days when I run inside, but only a few minimal bites.  Tomorrow my goal is to get 5 miles in AT LEAST and then hope for a long run of UGH 8 miles on Saturday or Sunday!  My last run of 7 miles, just sorta came easy and really hope that the "8" feels the same way. 

I am now thinking that running has leveled off and become something that I don't have to STRUGGLE at when I am going at a slow relaxed pace and that feels SO GOOD.   I have been trying to challenge myself more on the treadmill, increasing my speed at each 1/4 mile.  This has gone well and I will continue to do that when I can't run outside or hit the inside track. 

As far as the weather, I am NOT really looking forward to the hot days of summer and running outside.  It gets SO hot and running when it's cooler really seems easier to me.  As long as the weather is 15 degrees or so warmer with little wind, I am in heaven outside running.  It's easier for me to stay warm than it is to cool off!  So for now, going to enjoy the cool weather and be the running fool! --Steph

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 3 weeks at 20. Enjoy following your blog. Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock baby the 1/2 will be no prob for ya!

    ReplyDelete