Five Sullivan Brothers 5k/10k, Waterloo, Iowa

Five Sullivan Brothers 5k/10k, Waterloo, Iowa

Sunday, June 14, 2015

5 miles complete (13 weeks to the half)

I've been stressing out over training and having to follow a plan and worried about increasing my mileage in this hot Iowa heat.  I want to follow a running plan that going to be easy to follow and manage. A plan that is semi-flexible that will allow me to build up my weekly long run gradually.    

I've been contemplating exploring the idea of the run/walk method that Jeff Galloway says will decrease your chance of injury.  I've copied some information from his website below that details his method.  :)  

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

The Galloway Run Walk Run method

• A smart way to run – by giving you cognitive control over each workout.
• Allows you to carry on all of your life activities – even after long runs
• Motivates beginners to get off of the couch and run
• Bestows running joy to non-stop runners who had given up
• Helps improve finish times in all races
• Gives all runners control over fatigue
• Delivers all of the running enhancements without exhaustion or pain

I've never stopped running, but have kept my average runs to about 3-4 miles for the past couple of years.  I have run 2-3 times per week in a VERY non-stress kind of way, just to keep myself healthy and reduce stress.  I've run very few times with my garmin to reduce the stress and get out to just "feel the run".

Since I have officially committed to running the Park to Park half in Sept, I figured I should get kind of serious and start to "plan" how I was going to increase my mileage to get up to a long run of 10-11 miles before the half.  

Options I've explored.  

Plan #1 

  • 16 weeks 
  • 3 runs per week
  • increase long runs by .5 miles each week and the other two runs are half the long run  ie. 2.5 miles, 2.5 miles, 5 miles 

Plan #2 
  • 12 weeks 
  • 4 runs per week 
  • run/walk intervals
  • cross training 1 day per week 
Plan #3 MY modified PLAN (keep my sanity plan)
  • 13 weeks
  • 3 total runs per week 
  • 1 long run 
  • 1 fastish run
  • cross train 2 days per week 
  •  run/walk method 4:1 
Results AFTER the first RUN  

It was 81 degrees with a real feel of 83. . .66% humidity and dew point 69 degrees.  


Time:53:05
Moving Time:53:05
Elapsed Time:53:05
Avg Pace:10:32 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:10:32 min/mi
Best Pace:7:15 min/mi
  Best pace was at the end.  :)  


I feel pretty happy that I was able to keep a pace in the 10's with a 4:1 ratio and with it being crazy hot and humid.  This just might be what I need.  My run. My pace.  My plan.  My happy.  

Run Happy!  



No comments:

Post a Comment